February 15, 2007

Hi, my name is Jerri and I'm a carb addict

It's true. I'm addicted to carbs. If I hadn't had my eyes forced open to see the damage they are doing to me I would never have chosen to try the low carb way of eating.

My husband and I started low carb eating in Oct. 2006. We started because of concerns with high blood sugar (pre-diabetic) and high cholesterol. Our doctor treats pre-diabetes fairly aggressively, with the hope of patients never having to deal with the horrible complications of diabetes. We basically follow the Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Diet . When we started, I weighed 148 lbs at 5'5 and my husband weighed 227 at 6'1. What we didn't know when we started was that low carb eating would lead to so much weight loss. We never understood the role carbs have in MAKING US FAT! Boy, were we surprised! It has been 4 months and I am down to 117 lbs (31 lbs lost) and hubby is down to 177 (50 lbs lost!). And get this: NO EXERCISING! Ha! Course, exercise would be good to add in to our road to better health.

I think the hardest part of this new way of eating, because it has to be for life to keep the health and weight loss benefits, is to find enough recipes and ways to make the foods we can have, appealing for the long haul. That is the biggest struggle. As Julie mentioned below, it is easy to get sick of eggs pretty fast. There are many ways to make eggs, but at some point you have to really change the flavor to not gag on them! LOL!

Another thing Julie mentioned is having children in the house who are not doing as low carb as the parents are. We have twelve children, all living at home, and they are doing lower carb. Well, some of them go out and buy whatever they want. But for the most part, I am not buying some things I used to ALWAYS buy (like fruit juice, cookies, chips, regular soda,etc.) and also trying to find things to make that are low carb and tasty to everyone. It isn't easy. It takes time to look through recipes, collect new ingrediants and try the new recipes. Some are good, some are yuck. lol.

A big part of why I started this blog was to have a place to share our struggles and successes. I REALLY struggle with craving carbs. Especially chocolate. My hubby, on the other hand, doesn't have problems with cravings. I have always disliked most vegetables, which doesn't leave much for me to eat if I don't get my taste buds to change their sweet little minds. Hubby, of course, loves all veggies! Hey, I don't even know how to cook most of them....yet. =)

Please join us on our new adventure of low carb eating; things you like, recipes, cookbooks you love or hate, etc. Share what kind of program you are doing, etc.

It isn't easy, but I sure LOVE the effect low carb eating has on my body and brain!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jerri,
Can you do low carb bake mixes? We like sausage balls for breakfast. Breakfast burritos with low carb tortillas, protein shakes (can give recipe), faux oatmeal with fax seeds.
Also, I can't get on your davendozen blog.
Dana

Mom of thirteen said...

Per Dr. B's diet, no low carb mix, no low carb tortilla's. Nothing with any hint of a grain. That being said, ahem, I don't always stick to that as closely as I should and I pay for it with my BG's going up. I will use the low carb tortilla's once in a while, for a quesadilla.

That would be great if you could share your protein shake recipe and your faux oatmeal (I bet you don't eat that one, right?).

Unknown said...

Hi Jerri,
Do you want me to send you my recipe on the comments or email it?
Dana