February 27, 2007

For those of us whose families are not on board...

What do you do when you go out to eat and your husband chose the restaurant? My hubby I have gone out twice in the last two days. Monday night I chose the restaurant. We went out with friends to Saylor's, a steak place, with some friends. This one was easy since I am not a big bread person, just sugar! This place serves a relish tray with a seasoned sour cream dip (basically sour cream and chives). I ate some celery sticks, two small carrot sticks (I am going moderate low carb and not strict low carb)and some olives. I skipped the bread and took the beets and croutons off my salad. For dinner I had Filet Mignon and asked for veggies instead of the potato options. When the meal came, I took the carrots out of the veggies and just ate the broccoli and cauliflower and added some butter to them. Then I skipped the ice cream dessert that came with the meal.

Then next day we went out with the kids and Jim wanted to go to Unique Buffet. This is a Chinese all you can eat buffet. He asked me if this was okay and I told him I would make it work. This one was harder because I really like pot stickers and the cream cheese puffs. I didn't have either. I ended up eating some crab and shrimp from one dish and some veggies from another. I know the crab dish had sugar in it because it was pretty sweet. I just limited my portion to quite small. I got salad, (which was basically lettuce)with cucumber, and sunflower seeds with ranch dressing. I also got a hard boiled egg and a piece of chicken on a stick but it tasted really sweet so I only had a bite or two. After eating this I still felt a little hungry so I got some more sunflower seeds and another half of a hard boiled egg.

The biggest thing I am doing for myself is reminding myself of what I can have, not what I can't have. I have been on Weight Watchers before and always felt like I was "bad" because I would splurge and eat the things I shouldn't since I could count them as points. Well, I have found it much easier with this change of lifestyle to say, "Hey, now I can eat bacon or sunflower seeds." I guess I am choosing the see the glass as half full instead of half empty and I like it. I also really like the results. I've lost 6.4 pounds in the last 1-1/2 weeks.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Congrats on your weight loss Gail! Way to go! Great post about eating out. Thanks!